Thursday, November 11, 2010

Becoming Metis


   Throughout Becoming Métis, Melissa demonstrates the struggles of getting to know one’s self and recovering her heritage.  “To learn who I am today, on this land I live on, I’ve had to recover that heritage and realize a multicultural self.”  I think what Melissa Nelson is trying to say here is that she needs to know and understand where she came from and the people that helped make her to better know herself.   Sometimes if you try to get to know someone the best way to is to ask them about their family and where their family came from.  Even to help yourself better know who you are you should ask your own family to give you some background information and ask questions.  The beginning of the reading took you through a journey of her taking for granted cultures and those cultural traditions.  She also struggles with the fact that her parents were more or less forced to forget their heritage, language, and culture to become Americans.  I believe this is why she feels so strong about rediscovering her heritage and where she really came from and who her family really is.  I think this piece relates to my own experiences because I know very little about my heritage only that I am a “mutt” of different things.  I would like to better understand where I came from and the types of cultures I have within myself.  I think the author’s purpose is to get other people much like her to become curious about where they come from.  I think she wants everyone to know more about themselves and discover something they didn’t know before.  “Today I am concerned with learning how to honor all parts of myself” (page 147).  I really like this quote because it shows that she is not just looking for who she really is just to tuck it away in the back of her head.  She wants to find out so that she can honor and represent her true heritage and culture.  She is looking for pieces of her to share with others and show that she is proud to be who she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment